Monday, August 16, 2010

Alchemy Project -Prima Materia

Alchemy and its Process

As I am preparing to transition to LA I have begun another Alchemy process series. My first was instigated from a class that I was taking in graduate school called Alchemy with Mary Webster. In this project I came face to face to work with my social phobia.


There are seven steps in Alchemy.

The Transformative Processes

There are seven steps in the transformative processes, both for physical Alchemy as well as spiritual Alchemy. Here is a brief list of the 7 Steps of the Emerald formula.

1. Calcination 2. Dissolution 3. Separation 4. Conjunction 5. Fermentation 6. Distillation 7. Coagulation

The beginning art process is to create something the symbolizes ones Prima Materia (Prima Materia is, according to alchemists, the alleged primitive formless base of all matter, given particular manifestation through the influence of form) the issue that you wish to transform.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prima_materia

The image on the left is my Prima Materia in 2006 i.e Social Phobia. This was a very painful confrontation, the gift that it brought me was healing and over five years of Jungian Therapy.

The image on the top right is my Prima Materia in 2010. I will be completing the project on October 1st and we shall see what transpires. The issue at hand is what is stopping me from becoming a successful artist.

As I look and reflect on this piece questions come to mind.

What has tied me up?
The good news is gold exists right at the beginning of this process. It is not as sticky and painful as my social phobia materia.
Others first:
I find that one of my tools for procrastination is putting others first in my artistic promotion.
I will spend hours promoting others and little on myself.

What do I fear? Do I fear success? Do I fear total validation? Do I fear failure? Do I fear judgement and rejection? Can I live my dream of becoming a full time artist and opening a healing art studio. Do I have what it takes?

OK let the process begin.
The next experiment and post is Calcination (Heat)
Calcination is the first of the seven major operations in the Alchemy of Transformation.

Chemically, the Calcination process involves heating a substance in a crucible or over an open flame until it is reduced to ashes. In the Arcanum Experiment, Calcination is represented by Sulfuric Acid, which the alchemist made from a naturally occurring substance called Vitriol. Sulfuric Acid is a powerful corrosive that eats away flesh and reacts with all metals except Gold.

Psychologically, this is a destruction of ego and our attachment to material possessions. Calcination is usually a natural humbling process as we are gradually assaulted and overcome by the trials and tribulations of life, though it can be a deliberate surrender of our inherent hubris gained through a variety of spiritual disciplines that ignite the fire of introspection and self-evaluation.

Psychologically, the Fire of Calcination can be experienced as the metabolic discipline or aerobic activity that tunes the body, burning off excess from overindulgence and producing a lean, mean, fighting machine. Calcination begins in the Base or Lead Chakra at the Sacrel Cup at the Base of the Spine.

On the Planetary level, it is the Fire of Creation, the formation of a liveable environment from molten matter and volcanic ashes. http://mystic-grove.com.au/ost/seven.html

1 comment:

Lisa Rasmussen M.F.A. said...

http://www.intent.com/deepakchopra/blog/anxiety-how-change-your-response