Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Homage to Ma- 2007

The second shrine that I created was a lunar shrine across the Bay at the base Mt Tam in Marin County. It was mothers day weekend and I had invited my good artist friend, Billy to collaborate with me on this one. As we were hiking we ascended a hill and we were amazed at what we saw. It was picturesque. Two young redwood trees had framed a brilliant waterfall.
Two elements were necessary in creating this lunar shrine, the first was that the place had to be near a water source and the shape of the shrine was to be in the form of a crescent that would surround the base of two trees. This time the medium that I used was spices and pigments from the Asian market. Again organic pigments were intuitively and meditatively placed in half circles creating crescent shape. While my friend and I created our lunar shrines, several women with their small babies kept gravitating onto the scene and inquired what we were doing. I am not sure whether it was it synchronicity or coincidence, but something was happening beyond the ordinary. We both looked at each other and mused that our lunar shrine must be working. It seemed to be attracting mother energy.
, “ I stumbled upon a sacred moment. My nephew and I went walking on a wooded trail near our home. He is twelve years old and loves the woods. We are gland to be close. But even in the woods we were distracted. Thinking of other things, not particularly present with each other or where we were. We stumbled upon the shrine at Cascade Falls, and it awoke something inside us. What is this? We wondered. Look at these colors…around this beautiful tree, and resonant energy..this is where people have gathered to honor this place. And so we finally entered into a place where we were, and arrived, home at the falls.” Bennett Johnston

This was a special shrine, so far it is the only one that I have heard about someone's experience of my Earth art, by accident or maybe not by accident. The universe is amazing ...

No comments: