Thursday, January 6, 2011

My Collectors, their Art ,and their Stories.

Mystery
Acrylic on Canvas
3'x5'

This was a painting that I did from a powerful dream. It was very strange dream about this mysterious hybrid creature, that just kept on staring at me from various vantage points. The hybrid looked like the white being on the canvas. I still today have no idea what he was or what was his meaning. All I do know is I was driven to draw a series of eight works on paper of this hybrid character in various scenes. Below is one image from the series.

As I was preparing for my solo exhibition Caol A'it, I intuitively decided to paint this hybrid creature life size.
Jais Booth fell in love with this mysterious image and she added it to her collection.
Collector: Jais Booth says about her own work, "My practice as an artist is inextricably linked with my 38 years of discipline and study in both eastern and western forms of alchemy – the alchemy of personal growth and transformation
" Also, in August 2008, Jais and I with twelve other artist opened the Red Door Gallery and Collective in the Art Murmur district of downtown Oakland. The Red Door was a collective with a vision of art to transform both individuals and communities. Our studio gallery exhibited art from various community service organizations, while our main gallery showcased transformative artists from around the country.
Jais and I also co-curated together two critically acclaimed exhibitions at the Red Door Gallery and Collective, Art and the Body Poltick, (with Lauren Odell Usher ) which was a follow-up show from Art Hazelwoods, Art of Democracy prestigious exhibition.As well we co-curated Myth, Magic, and Mystery, (with Cheja)which Jais documented in an Art catalogue.

No comments: