Sunday, July 4, 2010

Lastest Tree Shrine and a Reflection



I think all artists are obsessed with placement. Creativity is about placement. Meaning placement of intentions and objects to create a new. Every brush stroke that a painter paints is about placement. And this can be totally impulsive, intuitive, unconscious or thought out. Our obsession with placement brings about a vibrational quality within our work. I think as artist we also validate and embrace successful placement. As I write this I am on my hammock in my garden. I am surrounded by the glory of nature. What captures my attention is the marvel of the small spider and its perfection of placement.



The decayed sculpture is what is left from my undergraduate final which was in 2003.
I love how it has weathered. Today I created a natural tree shrine. I was driven to circle the trunk of the tree with flowers. When I completed I found this antler and thought it looked amazing next to my decaying sculpture.



It is all about placement!

No comments: